Brandon L. Plattner
Ronald J. Marler Veterinary Pathology Professor
BSc 2000, Department of Agriculture, Kansas State University
DVM 2002, College of Veterinary Medicine, Kansas State University
PhD 2010, Department of Veterinary Pathology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Iowa State University
Diplomate 2010, American College of Veterinary Pathologists
Office: L-222 Mosier Hall
Phone: (785) 532-4452
Section head (KSVDL Histology and Immunochemistry Laboratory)
Diagnostic Anatomic Pathology: (necropsy, surgical biopsy, collaborative research); systems of interest include gastrointestinal, hepatic, urinary
VDMP902 Diagnostic Medicine: Senior/4th year veterinary student rotation, rotation coordinator
VDMP857 Systems Pathology: Sophomore/2nd year veterinary student course (gastrointestinal and urinary systems)
Anatomic pathology resident training
I have long-term interests in innate immunity and host-pathogen interactions during infectious diseases of the gastrointestinal tract of ruminants and other species. Currently, I am engaged as a pathologist supporting a wide variety of internal and external collaborative research projects.
Francisco A Uzal, Jesse M Hostetter and Brandon L Plattner. (2016). The gastrointestinal tract. In: Jubb, Kennedy and Palmer’s Pathology of Domestic Animals, Volume 1. Maxie, 6th ed. Elsevier.
- Matsuyama-Kato A, Boodhoo N, Iseki H, Abdul-Careem MF, Plattner BL, Behboudi S, Sharif S. Differential activation of chicken gamma delta T cells from different tissues by Toll-like receptor 3 or 21 ligands. Dev Comp Immunol. 2022 Mar 7;131:104391.
- Rooney T, Ford AK, Plattner BL, Highland MA, Eshar D. Pax5 and CD3 immunophenotyping of lymphoma in 2 central bearded dragons. J Vet Diagn Invest. 2022 Mar;34(2):258-262.
- Matsuyama-Kato A, Iseki H, Boodhoo N, Bavananthasivam J, Alqazlan N, Abdul-Careem MF, Plattner BL, Behboudi S, Sharif S.Phenotypic characterization of gamma delta (γδ) T cells in chickens infected with or vaccinated against Marek's disease virus. Virology. 2022 Mar;568:115-125.
- Harrison O, Gebhardt JT, Paulk CB, Plattner BL, Woodworth JC, Rensing S, Jones CK, Trinetta V. Inoculation of weaned pigs by feed, water, and airborne transmission of Salmonella enterica Serotype 4,,12:i: J Food Prot. 2022 Jan 25.
- Karuppusamy S, Mutharia L, Kelton D, Plattner B, Mallikarjunappa S, Karrow N, Kirby G. Detection of Mycobacterium aviumSubspecies paratuberculosis (MAP) Microorganisms Using Antigenic MAP Cell Envelope Proteins. Front Vet Sci. 2021 Feb 3;8:615029.
- Rayamajhi S , Marasini R , Nguyen TDT , Plattner BL , Biller D , Aryal S. Strategic reconstruction of macrophage-derived extracellular vesicles as a magnetic resonance imaging contrast agent. Biomater Sci. 2020 May 21;8(10):2887-2904.
- Giraldo A, Pinard CL, Plattner BL, Dubois MS. Periocular sarcoid with bone invasion in a Thoroughbred mare. Can Vet J. 2020 Apr;61(4):415-419.
- Pinard C, Cuq B, Gibson T, Brisson B, Plattner B, Lillie B, Bienzle D, Brouwer E, Gottstein B, Peregrine A. Alveolar echinococcosis in an Ontario dog resembling an hepatic abscess. Can Vet J. 2019 Oct;60(10):1099-1103.
- Ludwig L, Egan R, Baquero M, Mansz A, Plattner BL. WC1+ and WC1neg γδ T lymphocytes in intestinal mucosa of healthy and Mycobacterium avium subspecies paratuberculosis-infected calves. Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 2019 Oct;216:109919.
- Stinson KJ, Duffield TF, Kelton DF, Baquero MM, Plattner BL. A preliminary study investigating effects of oral monensin sodium in an enteric Mycobacterium avium ssp. paratuberculosis infection model of calves. J Dairy Sci. 2019 Oct;102(10):9097-9106.
- Laursen AMS, Kulkarni RR, Taha-Abdelaziz K, Plattner BL, Read LR, Sharif S. Characterizaton of gamma delta T cells in Marek's disease virus (Gallid herpesvirus 2) infection of chickens. Virology. 2018 Sep;522:56-64.
- Stinson KJ, Baquero MM, Plattner BL. Resilience to infection by Mycobacterium avium subspecies paratuberculosis following direct intestinal inoculation in calves. Vet Res. 2018 Jul 13;49(1):58.
- Sim ZH, Pinard CL, Plattner BL, Bienzle D. Cyclooxygenase-2 expression in the eyes of cats with and without uveitis. Am J Vet Res. 2018 Jan;79(1):90-97.
- Baquero MM, Plattner BL. Bovine WC1+ and WC1neg γδ T Lymphocytes Influence Monocyte Differentiation and Monocyte-Derived Dendritic Cell Maturation during In Vitro Mycobacterium avium Subspecies paratuberculosis Infection. Front Immunol. 2017 May 22;8:534.
- Baquero MM, Plattner BL. Bovine peripheral blood WC1+ and WC1neg γδ T lymphocytes modulate monocyte-derived macrophage effector functions during in vitro Mycobacterium avium subspecies paratuberculosis infection. Cell Immunol. 2017 May;315:34-44.
- Arroyo LG, Costa MC, Guest BB, Plattner BL, Lillie BN, Weese JS. Duodenitis-Proximal Jejunitis in Horses After Experimental Administration of Clostridium difficile Toxins. J Vet Intern Med. 2017 Jan;31(1):158-163.
- Baquero MM, Plattner BL. Bovine WC1(+) γδ T lymphocytes modify monocyte-derived macrophage responses during early Mycobacterium avium subspecies paratuberculosis infection. Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 2016 Feb;170:65-72.