Research Assistant Professor
BS (2006), Iowa State University
DVM (2010), Iowa State University
MS (2014), Iowa State University
337 Coles Hall
My research focus is on beef cattle herd health, preventive medicine, and disease outbreak planning and preparedness, particularly regarding Foot and Mouth Disease (FMD). As part of the Center for Outcomes Research and Epidemiology (CORE), I have worked on collaborative projects investigating livestock movement networks in the U.S., disease spread modeling, and the economic assessment of research trials in feedlot cattle. I have also worked on the Secure Beef Supply Plan, the goal of which is to provide a business continuity plan for beef producers and industry stakeholders in the event of a national FMD outbreak.
I am the course coordinator for the (VDMP 818) Veterinary Epidemiology course taught during the first year of the DVM curriculum, which introduces students to the principles, methods, and applications of veterinary epidemiology.
- Dixon AL, Hanthorn CJ, Pendell DL, Cernicchiaro N, Renter DG. Economic assessments from experimental research trials of feedlot cattle health and performance: a scoping review. Transl An Sci. 6(3) 2022; DOI:txac077, https://doi.org/10.1093/tas/txac077
- Cernicchiaro N, Oliveira ARS, Hanthorn CJ, Renter DG. Outcomes research: origins, relevance and potential impacts for veterinary medicine. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2022:1-10. doi: 10.2460/javma.21.06.0318.
- Cabezas, AH, Sanderson, MW, Lockhart CY, Riley, K, Hanthorn, CJ. 2021. Spatial and Network Analysis of U.S. Livestock Movements based on Interstate Certificates of Veterinary Inspection. Prev Vet Med 10.1016/j.prevetmed.2021.10539
- Hanthorn, C.J., Sanderson, M.W., Dixon, A.L. Emergency response plans for managing livestock movement in a North American Foot and Mouth Disease (FMD) outbreak. Accepted, J. Am. Vet. Med. Assoc. 2020.
- Hanthorn, C.J., Sanderson, M.W. “Xylazine sedation and gunshot for depopulation of cattle.” Bovine Practitioner. 2019, Vol. 53:2. https://doi.org/10.21423/bovine-vol53no2p166-168
- Dewell, R., Hanthorn, C., Danielson, J., Burzette, R., Coetzee, J., Griffin, D., Ramirez, A., Dewell, G. "Evaluation of an Interactive Workshop Designed to Teach Practical Welfare Techniques to Beef Cattle Caretakers and Decision Makers." Journal of Extension. 2015, Vol. 53:4. ISSN: 0022-0140, 1077-5315
- Hanthorn, C.J., Dewell, G.A., Dewell, R.D., Cooper, V.L., Wang, C., Plummer, P.J., Lakritz, J. “Serum concentrations of haptoglobin and haptoglobin-matrix metalloproteinase 9 (Hp-MMP 9) complexes of bovine calves in a bacterial respiratory challenge model.” BMC Veterinary Research. 2014, Vol. 10:285. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12917-014-0285-5
- Hanthorn, C.J., Dewell, R.D., Cooper, V.L., Frana, T.S., Plummer, P.J., Wang, C., Dewell, G.A. “Randomized clinical trial to evaluate the pathogenicity of Bibersteinia trehalosi in respiratory disease among calves.” BMC Veterinary Research. 2014, Vol. 10:89. https://doi.org/10.1186/1746-6148-10-89
- Managed Movement of Susceptible Livestock Species during a U.S. Foot and Mouth Disease (FMD) Outbreak: Considerations for Regulatory Officials, November 2019, http://www.cfsph.iastate.edu/pdf-library/FMD-Resources/disease-fmd-sfs-managed-movement-regulatory-officials.pdf
- Managed Movement of Susceptible Livestock Species during a U.S. Foot and Mouth Disease (FMD) Outbreak: Overview, November 2019, http://www.cfsph.iastate.edu/pdf-library/FMD-Resources/disease-fmd-sfs-managed-movement-overview.pdf
- Hanthorn, C.J., Bickett-Weddle, D., “Secure Beef Supply Plan – What Producers Need to Know.” 2019, https://coloradolivestock.org/secure-beef-supply-plan-what-producers-need-to-know/
- Hanthorn, C.J., Bickett-Weddle, D., “Secure Beef Supply Plan – What Producers Need to Know.” Nebraska Cattleman. September 2018, http://nebraskacattleman.org/NCsep2018/index.html
- Hanthorn, C., “The Secure Beef Supply Plan – Managed Movement.” Iowa Cattleman. November 2015, Vol. 42:11, pp. 18-19, https://lsc-pagepro.mydigitalpublication.com/publication/?m=35546&i=279580&p=18
- Hanthorn, C., Sanderson, M., Brown, W.L., “State survey of plans to manage livestock movement during a Foot and Mouth Disease (FMD) outbreak – A USAHA survey of State Animal Health Officials”, August 2015, https://securebeef.org/Assets/SAHO-Survey-Results-2015_Manage-Livestock-Movement-FMD-Outbreak.pdf