Susan C. Nelson
Clinical Associate Professor/Pet Health Center
- DVM: Kansas State University
- Bachelor of Arts-Biology: Hastings College
- Clinical Instructor Small Animal General Medicine (4th year)
- Practicing Veterinary Medicine in a Multicultural Society (2nd year)
- Veterinary Management and Finance (3rd year)
- Veterinary Ethics and Jurisprudence (1st year)
- Clinical Skills III with Lab (3rd year)
- Clinical Pharmacology (3rd year)
- Introduction to Companion Animals and Horses (ASI 107)
- Communication Skills (3rd and 4th year)Zoonotic Medicine (3rd year)
- Grand Rounds I (1st year)
Dr. Nelson’s clinical interests are in preventive care, senior wellness and puppy/kitten wellness. She is also active in clinical communications training for 4th year students.
Selected Publications, Presentations, or Articles
- Nelson, Susan. Continuity of Operations for the Veterinary Practice, 77th Annual Conference for Veterinarians, June 2015
- Nelson, Susan. Separation Anxiety and Thunderstorm Phobias in Dogs, 77th Annual Conference for Veterinarians, June 2014
- Nelson, Susan. Clinical Communications for Veterinary Technicians: Establishing rapport for better history taking, enhancing adherence and financial discussions, Colby Technician Annual Conference, October 2014
- Nelson, Susan. Pet First Aid, Kansas Preparedness and Human Services in Disaster Summit and KSSART Annual Conference, 2013
- Nelson, Susan. Common Behavior Problems in Cats and Dogs, Colby Technician Annual Conference, Oct. 2012
- Nelson, Susan. To Vax or Not to Vax? Keeping Up with Current Vaccine Guidelines, Colby Technician Annual Conference, Oct. 2012
- Nelson, Susan.What’s New in the World of Heartworms and Compliance Issues , KSU Annual Technician Conference, 2011
- Nelson, Susan. Disaster Preparation for Veterinarians and Breeding Kennels,KSUCanine Care Conference 2010
- Nelson, Susan. Diseases you and your pet can share, K-State Media 2009
- Nelson, Susan. Disaster Preparation for You Pet, Radius Magazine, Summer 2008
- Nelson, Susan. "Effective Confrontation Skills and Personal Inconsistencies". International Conference on Communication in Veterinary Medicine, July 2007, Washington, D.C.
- Nelson, Susan. “Say That Again Please" - Practical communication skills that enhance history gathering, informed decision-making and client compliance. KSU Annual Conference for Veterinarians, June 2007.
- Nelson, Susan. "Practical Applications of Communication Skills". Informed-Decision Making, Managing Crisis Situations and Euthanasia. KSU Annual Conference for Veterinarians, June 2007.
- Nelson, Susan. New Anti-Obesity Medication available soon for Paunchy Pooch, but K-State Vet. Says There are Other Ways to Slim Pet., KSU Media Relations. January 18, 2007.
- Nelson, Susan. Bite Prevention Presentation for 2007 World Rabies Day Celebration, KSU College of Veterinary Medicine, Manhattan, KS.