About the College
The College of Veterinary Medicine was established in 1905. (Centennial Celebration) Since then more than 5,000 men and women have been granted the Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree. Departments within the College of Veterinary Medicine are anatomy and physiology, clinical sciences, diagnostic medicine/pathobiology.
The first reference to the field of veterinary medicine at Kansas State was in 1862. Beginning in 1886, animal health courses were offered to students enrolled in agriculture but not for veterinary degree credit. The curriculum leading to the degree, Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, was established in 1905. At first, the school was known as the Department of Veterinary Medicine; it became the Division of Veterinary Medicine in 1919, when it separated from the School of Agriculture and in 1943, the name Division was changed to School. In 1963, the Veterinary Medicine Program was designated a college after Kansas State College became a University. Of the present colleges of veterinary medicine, Kansas State University is one of the oldest in the United States to grant the DVM degree.
Originally, 15 units of high school work (equivalent to graduation) were required for admission. Effective in 1932, 32 hours of college work were required to be eligible for the professional program and by the 1949-50 academic year, 68 hours (two years) of pre-veterinary medical work were required. Through the years, the pre-professional requirements have changed to reflect the demands of the professional curriculum.
The college's nationally recognized instructional and research programs provide the highest standards of professional education. A rich, varied, and extensive agricultural program in the area surrounding the college, a city with many pets and a zoo, and referrals from surrounding states provide a wealth of clinical material for professional education in veterinary medicine.