Jürgen A. Richt
Regents Distinguished Professor & KBA Eminent Scholar
DVM (1985), University of München, Germany
PhD Virology (1988), University of Giessen, Germany
Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS
Regents Distinguished Professor, Diagnostic Medicine Pathobiology
Office: Mosier Hall K-224-B
Phone: (785) 532 -2793
Fax: (785) 532 3373
During my 25 year scientific career, I have studied pathogen-host interactions in various infectious disease models including avian and swine influenza viruses, African Swine Fever virus, Rift Valley Fever virus, prion diseases and Borna Disease Virus. On these topics, I have published more than 200 peer-reviewed scientific manuscripts. I am an editor for Virus Genes and serve on editorial boards for other scientific journals. Currently, I am the Director of the Center of Excellence for Emerging and Zoonotic Animal Diseases (CEEZAD) and hold the prestigious Regents Distinguished Professor appointment at Kansas State University with the distinction of a Kansas Bioscience Authority Eminent Scholar.
The overall goal of my research is to investigate emerging diseases of livestock focusing mainly on viral diseases. We work on influenza viruses, especially swine and avian influenza viruses. We try to understand molecular mechanisms of how influenza viruses are transmitted between animal species and which viral genes are critical for this process. We also try to develop broader and more efficient vaccines. We contributed to the isolation and characterization of novel swine influenza subtypes including the 2009 pandemic H1N1 virus and studied their zoonotic potential using nonhuman primate models. Reverse genetics technology is one of the techniques used in this line of research. Rift Valley Fever virus is another zoonotic pathogen we are working on. Our goal is the development of novel vaccines and diagnostic tools. Similarly, we work on the development of vaccines and diagnostics for African Swine Fever.
Complete List of Published work in MyBibliography: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/myncbi/1zK1knbx3FQkC/bibliography/47960468/public/?sort=date&direction=ascending
- Jingjiao Ma, Jinhwa Lee, Haixia Liu, Ignacio Mena, A. Sally Davis, Sun Young Sunwoo, Yuekun Lang, Michael Duff, Igor Morozov, Yuhao Li, Jianmei Yang, Adolfo García-Sastre, Juergen A. Richt, Wenjun Ma. Newcastle disease virus-based H5 influenza vaccine protects chickens from lethal challenge with a highly pathogenic H5N2 avian influenza virus. NPJ Vaccines, in press.
- Yolanda Revilla, Daniel Pérez-Núñez and Juergen A. Richt. ASFV biology and vaccine approaches. Adv. Virus Res., in press.
- Haley NJ, Rielinger R, Davenport KA, O'Rourke K, Mitchell G, Richt JA. Estimating chronic wasting disease susceptibility in cervids using real-time quaking-induced conversion. J Gen Virol. 2017 Nov;98(11):2882-2892.
- Faburay B, LaBeaud AD, McVey DS, Wilson WC, Richt JA. Current Status of Rift Valley Fever Vaccine Development. Vaccines (Basel). 2017 Sep 19;5(3).
- Sánchez EG, Riera E, Nogal M, Gallardo C, Fernández P, Bello-Morales R, López-Guerrero JA, Chitko-McKown CG, Richt JA, Revilla Y. Phenotyping and susceptibility of established porcine cells lines to African Swine Fever Virus infection and viral production. Sci Rep. 2017 Sep 4;7(1):10369.
- Yilmaz H, Karakullukcu A, Turan N, Cizmecigil UY, Yilmaz A, Ozkul AA, Aydin O, Gunduz A, Mete M, Zeyrek FY, Kirazoglu TT, Richt JA, Kocazeybek B. Genotypes of hepatitis a virus in Turkey: first report and clinical profile of children infected with sub-genotypes IA and IIIA. BMC Infect Dis. 2017 Aug 11;17(1):561.
- Haley NJ, Richt JA. Evolution of Diagnostic Tests for Chronic Wasting Disease, a Naturally Occurring Prion Disease of Cervids. Pathogens. 2017 Aug 5;6(3).
- Danqi B, Li Z, Liu Q, Richt JA. H7N9 avian influenza A virus in China: a short report on its circulation, drug resistant mutants and novel antiviral drugs. Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther. 2017 Aug;15(8):723-727.
- Mancera Gracia JC, Van den Hoecke S, Richt JA, Ma W, Saelens X, Van Reeth K. A reassortant H9N2 influenza virus containing 2009 pandemic H1N1 internal-protein genes acquired enhanced pig-to-pig transmission after serial passages in swine.Sci Rep. 2017 May 2;7(1):1323.
- Lee J, Yu H, Li Y, Ma J, Lang Y, Duff M, Henningson J, Liu Q, Li Y, Nagy A, Bawa B, Li Z, Tong G, Richt JA, Ma W. Impacts of different expressions of PA-X protein on 2009 pandemic H1N1 virus replication, pathogenicity and host immune responses.Virology. 2017 Apr; 504:25-35.
- Yilmaz H, Tekelioglu BK, Gurel A, Bamac OE, Ozturk GY, Cizmecigil UY, Altan E, Aydin O, Yilmaz A, Berriatua E, Helps CR, Richt JA, Turan N. Frequency, clinicopathological features and phylogenetic analysis of feline morbillivirus in cats in Istanbul, Turkey. J Feline Med Surg. 2017 Dec;19(12):1206-1214.
- Yang J, Lee J, Ma J, Lang Y, Nietfeld J, Li Y, Duff M, Li Y, Yang Y, Liu H, Zhou B, Wentworth DE, Richt JA, Li Z, Ma W. Pathogenicity of modified bat influenza virus with different M genes and its reassortment potential with swine influenza A virus. J Gen Virol. 2017 Apr;98(4):577-584.
- Bian J, Khaychuk V, Angers RC, Fernández-Borges N, Vidal E, Meyerett-Reid C, Kim S, Calvi CL, Bartz JC, Hoover EA, Agrimi U, Richt JA, Castilla J, Telling GC. Prion replication without host adaptation during interspecies transmissions. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2017 Jan 31;114(5):1141-1146.
- van Doremalen N, Hijazeen ZS, Holloway P, Al Omari B, McDowell C, Adney D, Talafha HA, Guitian J, Steel J, Amarin N, Tibbo M, Abu-Basha E, Al-Majali AM, Munster VJ, Richt JA. High Prevalence of Middle East Respiratory Coronavirus in Young Dromedary Camels in Jordan. Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis. 2017 Feb;17(2):155-159.
- Faburay B, Wilson WC, Gaudreault NN, Davis AS, Shivanna V, Bawa B, Sunwoo SY, Ma W, Drolet BS, Morozov I, McVey DS, Richt JA. 2016. A Recombinant Rift Valley Fever Virus Glycoprotein Subunit Vaccine Confers Full Protection against Rift Valley Fever Challenge in Sheep. Sci Rep. 6: 27719. doi: 10.1038/srep27719. PMID:27296136
- Wilson WC, Davis AS, Gaudreault NN, Faburay B, Trujillo JD, Shivanna V, Sunwoo SY, Balogh A, Endalew A, Ma W, Drolet BS, Ruder MG, Morozov I, McVey DS, Richt JA. 2016. Experimental Infection of Calves by Two Genetically-Distinct Strains of Rift Valley Fever Virus. Viruses. 8(5). pii: E145. doi: 10.3390/v8050145. PMID: 27223298.
- Nagy A, Lee J, Mena I, Henningson J, Li Y, Ma J, Duff M, Li Y, Lang Y, Yang J, Abdallah F, Richt J, Ali A, García-Sastre A, Ma W. 2016. Recombinant Newcastle disease virus expressing H9 HA protects chickens against heterologous avian influenza H9N2 virus challenge. Vaccine 34:2537-45.
- Rao Q, Richt JA, Hsieh YP. 2016. Immunoassay for the Detection of Animal Central Nervous Tissue in Processed Meat and Feed Products. J. Agric. Food. Chem. 64: 3661-68.
- Haley N, Siepker C, Greenlee J, Richt JA. 2016. Limited amplification of chronic wasting disease prions in the peripheral tissues of intracerebrally inoculated cattle. J. Gen. Virol. doi: 10.1099/jgv.0.000438.[Epub ahead of print]. PMID:27031704
- Balzli C, Lager K, Vincent A, Gauger P, Brockmeier S, Miller L, Richt JA, Ma W, Suarez D, Swayne DE. 2016. Susceptibility of swine to H5 and H7 low pathogenic avian influenza viruses. Influenza Other Respir. Viruses 10:346-52.
- Moore SJ, Smith JD, Greenlee MH, Nicholson EM, Richt JA, Greenlee JJ. 2016. Comparison of Two US Sheep Scrapie Isolates Supports Identification as Separate Strains. Vet. Pathol. pii: 0300985816629712. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 26936223
- Artiaga BL, Yang G, Hackmann TJ, Liu Q, Richt JA, Salek-Ardakani S, Castleman WL, Lednicky JA, Driver JP. 2016. α-Galactosylceramide protects swine against influenza infection when administered as a vaccine adjuvant. Sci. Rep. 6:23593.
- Haley NJ, Siepker C, Hoon-Hanks LL, Mitchell G, Walter WD, Manca M, Monello RJ, Powers JG, Wild MA, Hoover EA, Caughey B, Richt JA. 2016. Seeded Amplification of Chronic Wasting Disease Prions in Nasal Brushings and Recto-anal Mucosa-Associated Lymphoid Tissues from Elk by Real-Time Quaking-Induced Conversion. J. Clin. Microbiol. 54:1117-1126.
- Haley NJ, Siepker C, Walter WD, Thomsen BV, Greenlee JJ, Lehmkuhl AD, Richt JA. 2016. Antemortem Detection of Chronic Wasting Disease Prions in Nasal Brush Collections and Rectal Biopsy Specimens from White-Tailed Deer by Real-Time Quaking-Induced Conversion. J. Clin. Microbiol. 54: 1108-1116.
- Faburay, B, Gaudreault, NN, Liu, Q., Davis, AS, Shivanna, V, Sunwoo, SY, Lang, Y, Morozov, I, Ruder, M, Drolet, B, McVey, DS, Ma, W, Wilson, W, Richt, JA. 2016. Development of a sheep challenge model for Rift Valley fever. Virology 489:128-140.