Recommendations for Conducting Online Exams
Note: For exams where test security is an issue, the use of the DyKnow Classroom Management system is highly recommended. Be sure to follow the procedures in Section II when choosing to use the DyKnow system during exams.
Section I: Using KSOL
CREATING YOUR EXAM:
- If possible, randomize questions when creating your exam or quiz to minimize the possibility of sharing answers.
- When setting a time limit, allow a 5-minute exception for all students to help ensure that those who wait until the last minute to submit their answers don’t get kicked off the system.
- Allow for only one submission of a completed exam to nullify the ability of students to change answers once they have left the exam room.
- Create a password for the exam that will be given to the students on exam day. This helps ensure that only students who come to exam room can take the exam.
- Inform the students of the online exam in advance, and ask them to be sure their tablets can connect to the Internet and log into the CVM network and KSOL before coming to class on exam day. Remind them to see the CaTS support team in Trotter room 4 if they have any difficulties.
- If the exam will be in the laboratory, students will need to plug their tablets into their desk’s Ethernet connection rather than use the wireless network. Encourage them to make sure their desk’s Ethernet connection is functional before exam day, and remind them to see the CaTS support team in Trotter room 4 if they have any difficulties.
- Make arrangements with CaTS to have at least 2 spare computers available during the exam.
- Have blank paper available for students who want to use scratch paper.
CONDUCTING THE EXAM:
- Encourage students to show up early and log in to KSOL before the exam start time.
- Ask that TabletPC screens be in the Tablet (face-up) position to minimize the urge to look at someone else’s answers.
- Do not allow other mobile devices in the exam room.
- Only allow scratch paper supplied by the instructor. This paper should be turned in prior to leaving the exam room.
- Don’t allow late arrivals once the exam has started.
- Have students who leave before the exam time has expired check in with the instructor so that proper submission of exam can be verified. This ensures that no student can leave the room and log back into the exam to change answers.
Section II: Using DyKnow
Use of the DyKnow Classroom Management system is recommended during online exams to ensure no screen-capture software is running on student machines, to limit access to other programs and web sites if desired, and to take attendance. Before using the DyKnow Classroom Management system, please be sure you have taken the time to be trained in its use.
- Be sure to coordinate with the DyKnow Administrator at least one week in advance of your first exam so that your class roster and desired access profiles can be created in the system.
- Remind students in advance that DyKnow will be used during the exam and that CVM policy requires them to a) have it running on their machines, and b) be logged into the CVM network, when they come to class that day. Encourage them to see the CaTS support team in Trotter room 4 if they have any questions about the preparedness of their tablet to use DyKnow.
CONDUCTING THE EXAM:
- Be sure the DyKnow Monitor program is running for your class and that your access policies have been activated as students arrive.
- Encourage students to show up early and sign in on paper. This record can be checked against the DyKnow electronic attendance record.
- Ask all students to restart their computers and log into the CVM ADS network after they have found their seat and before taking the exam. This ensures that the DyKnow software is active on their machine (as required per CVM TabletPC policy).
- At some point during the exam, use DyKnow to take an attendance record to be checked against the paper sign-in sheet to help identify users who are NOT using DyKnow during the exam (as required by CVM TabletPC policy).
- Students who leave before the exam time has expired should be checking in with the instructor so that proper submission of exam can be verified. Once verified, release their tablet from the DyKnow access policies and remind them to log off the network once they leave the room. This ensures that their tablet will resume unrestricted operation when they leave.