KSU-CVM Guidelines for Commercial Companies
Policy: The distribution or sale of products and services on or off the veterinary complex to professional students, staff, and faculty other than those offered by official Kansas State University units (e.g. the Veterinary Teaching Hospital, Diagnostic Laboratory, Digital Information Services Center, Library, and Continuing Education), must have prior approval by the Associate Dean of Academic Programs and Student Affairs. The use of university facilities or property to distribute or sell unauthorized products or services is prohibited. Any activity that is inconsistent with the educational, research, or service mission of the College of Veterinary Medicine (CVM) is prohibited. The Dean’s office (with input from appropriate faculty) reserves the right to stop distribution of any product, educational material, marketing material or external speaker’s appearance that violates the mission of the CVM.
A commercial or private company may designate an official student representative within the CVM student body with approval from the Associate Dean for Academic Programs and Student Affairs. To be approved, the company must have products or services which align with the educational, research, or service mission of the CVM or which contribute to the daily activities of a veterinary professional. Companies who regularly recruit and employ veterinary graduates may also have an official student representative in the CVM.
Procedures: The CVM requirements for extramural entities to interact with personnel in the CVM are:
- Commercial companies agree to these guidelines in writing with the Dean’s office.
- Companies may ask the Dean’s office to advertise an approved student representative position.
- Students must be in good academic standing and have at least one semester of academic experience to be approved.
- In order to hold a commercial company-sponsored event with KSU CVM students, the company student representative, co-sponsoring student organization, or co-sponsoring CVM unit must submit a Speaker/Event Approval Form a minimum of four (4) weeks in advance of the event. The Dean’s office reserves the right to decline approval. The approval request should include the following:
- A description of the proposed activity
- Name of external speaker and topic of the presentation
- Types of products, materials, or services to be distributed or marketed.
- Presentations to students by commercial companies must support the educational mission of the CVM. As such, they must focus on enhancing student understanding of basic or clinical sciences. Marketing of company products, if included, must directly tie to the scientific knowledge presented and represent no more than 5% of the total presentation.
The Associate Dean of Academic Programs and Student Affairs will review event proposals and forward the materials to appropriate faculty for advice on approval of distribution of products, educational materials, marketing materials, or invitations to external speakers. Appropriate faculty are those whose discipline, clinic section, or course is directly related to the subject area involved in or possibly affected by the distribution of the product, educational materials, marketing materials, or external speaker topics.
I__________________________________ professional representative of Company and
___________________________________student representative of Company ______________________________________________________________________
agree to the guidelines as stated above this day ____________________ of ______________.
A new agreement needs to be signed prior to or at the beginning of each academic year or when there are changes in company or student representation.
Proposal for commercial company-sponsored event at KSU-CVM to be reviewed by the Associate Dean of Academic Programs and Student Affairs