The College of Veterinary Medicine
The first reference to the field of veterinary medicine at Kansas State was in 1862. Beginning in 1886, animal health courses were offered to students enrolled in agriculture but not for veterinary degree credit. The curriculum leading to the degree, Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, was established in 1905. At first, the school was known as the Department of Veterinary Medicine; it became the Division of Veterinary Medicine in 1919 when it separated from the School of Agriculture and in 1943, the name Division was changed to School. In 1963, the Veterinary Medicine Program was designated a college after Kansas State College became a University. Of the present colleges of veterinary medicine, Kansas State University is one of the oldest in the United States to grant the Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree.
Originally, 15 units of high school work (equivalent to graduation) were required for admission. Effective in 1932, 32 hours of college work were required to be eligible for the professional program and by the 1949-50 academic year, 68 hours (two years) of pre-veterinary medical work were required. Through the years, the pre-professional requirements have changed to reflect the demands of the professional curriculum.