Director of Molecular Research and Development
Kansas State Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory
Ph.D., Kansas State University
M.S., University of the Philippines at Los Baños
B.S., Northwest A&F University, Yangling, China
157 CVM East/KSU-IC, Research Park
Research and Service
My research and service interests are to develop, validate and improve molecular diagnostic methods for the identification, quantification and characterization of animal, zoonotic and foodborne pathogens using PCR, sequencing and other technologies.
In recent years we have developed or improved a number of molecular diagnostic assays or DNA sequencing procedures. Most of which are aimed to increase diagnostic coverage, increase diagnostic sensitivity, and reduce cost. We have recently emphasized on building syndromic diagnostic panel testing including respiratory disease, diarrhea, and reproductive disorder panels for different animal species. We have made the effort to include an internal control for all newly developed assays to monitor the nucleic acid extraction efficiencies and potential PCR inhibitions.
We are also interested in exploring new technologies that can potentially be used in molecular diagnostics that can increase multiplexing and throughput capabilities, and to lower the cost and to reduce turnaround time.
1. Veronica L. Fowlera, Russell H. Ransburgh, Elizabeth G. Poulsen, Jemma Wadsworth, Donald P. King, Valerie Mioulet, Nick J. Knowles, Susanna Williamson, Xuming Liu, Gary A. Anderson, Ying Fang and Jianfa Bai*. 2017. Development of a novel real-time RT-PCR assay to detect Seneca Valley virus-1 associated with emerging cases of vesicular disease in pigs. J Virol Methods. 239, 34–37. doi:10.1016/j.jviromet.2016.10.012.
2. Shi, Xuming Liu, Qing Sun, Qin Wang, Amaresh Das, Guiping Ma, Lu Xu, Qing Sun, Lalitha Peddireddi, Wei Jia, Yanhua Liu, Gary Anderson, Jianfa Bai* and Jishu Shi*. 2016. J Virol Methods, 236, 258-265. doi:10.1016/j.jviromet.2016.08.005.
3. Rachel Madera, Wenjie Gong, Lihua Wang, Yulia Burakova, Karen Lleellish, Amy Galliher-Beckley, Jerome Nietfeld, Jamie Henningson, Kaimin Jia, Ping Li, Jianfa Bai, John Schlup, Scott McVey, Changchun Tu, Jishu Shi. 2016. Pigs immunized with a novel E2 subunit vaccine are protected from subgenotype heterologous classical swine fever virus challenge. BMC Veterinary Research 12:197.
4.Travis A Woods, Heather M Mendez, Sandy Ortega, Xiaorong Shi, David Marx, Jianfa Bai, Rodney A Moxley, T. G. Nagaraja, Steven W Graves, Alina Deshpande. 2016. Development of 11-Plex MOL-PCR Assay for the Rapid Screening of Samples for Shiga Toxin-Producing Escherichia coli. Frontiers in Cellular and Infection Microbiology, 6: 92. doi: 10.3389/fcimb.2016.00092.
5. P. B. Shridhar, L. W. Noll, X. Shi, N. Cernicchiaro, D. G. Renter, J. Bai, and T. G. Nagaraja. 2016. Escherichia coli O104 in Feedlot Cattle Feces: Prevalence, Isolation and Characterization. PLoS ONE 11(3): e0152101. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0152101.
6. Megan C. Niederwerder, Jerome C. Nietfeld, Jianfa Bai, Lalitha Peddireddi, Barbara Breazeale Joe Anderson, Maureen A. Kerrigan, Baoyan An, Richard D. Oberst, Kimberly Crawford, Kelly M. Lager, Darin M. Madson, Raymond R. R. Rowland, Gary A. Anderson, Richard A. Hesse. 2016. Tissue localization, shedding, virus carriage, antibody response, and aerosol transmission of porcine epidemic diarrhea virus (PEDV) following inoculation of 4-week-old feeder pigs. Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation. DOI: 10.1177/1040638716663251.
7. Yanhua Li, Duan-Liang Shyu, Pengcheng Shang, Jianfa Bai, Kang Ouyang, Santosh Dhakal, Jagadish Hireamt, Basavaraj Binjawadagi, Gourapura Renukaradhya, and Ying Fang. 2016. Mutations in a highly conserved motif of nsp1β protein attenuate the innate immune suppression function of porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus (PRRSV). Journal of Virology, 90: 3584–3599. doi:10.1128/JVI.03069-15.
8. Sarah Vitosh-Sillman, John Dustin Loy, Bruce W. Brodersen, Clayton L. Kelling, Alan R. Doster, Christina L. Topliff, Eric A. Nelson, Jianfa Bai, Erin Schirtzinger, Elizabeth Poulsen, Barbara Meadors, Joseph Anderson, Benjamin Hause, Gary Anderson, and Richard Hesse. 2016. Experimental infection of conventional nursing pigs and their dams with Porcine deltacoronavirus. Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation 28:5, 486–497.
9. P. B. Shridhar, L. W. Noll, X. Shi, B. An, N. Cernicchiaro, D. G. Renter, T. G. Nagaraja*, and J. Bai*. 2016. Multiplex Quantitative PCR Assays for the Detection and Quantification of the Six Major Non-O157 Escherichia coli Serogroups in Cattle Feces. Journal of Food Protection, 79, 2016, 66–74.
10. Noll, L. W., P. B. Shridhar, X. Shi, B. An, N. Cernicchiaro, D. G. Renter, T. G. Nagaraja*, and J. Bai*. 2015. A four-plex real-time PCR assay, based on rfbE, eae, stx1 and stx2 genes, for the detection and quantification of Escherichia coli O157 in cattle feces. Foodborne Path. Dis. 12, 787-794.
11. Getahun E Agga; Harvey Morgan Scott; Javier Vinasco; T.G Nagaraja; Raghavendra G Amachawadi; Jianfa Bai; Bo Norby; David G Renter; Steve S Dritz; Jim L Nelssen; Mike D Tokach. 2014. Effects of chlortetracycline and copper supplementation on the prevalence, distribution, and quantity of antimicrobial resistance genes in the feces of weaned pigs. Preventive Veterinary Medicine 114, 231–246.
12. Paddock Z. D., D. G. Renter, C. A. Cull, J. Bai, and T. G. Nagaraja. 2014. Escherichia coli O26 in feedlot cattle: Fecal prevalence, isolation, characterization and effects of an E. coli O157 vaccine and a direct-fed microbial. Foodborne Pathog Dis. 11: 186-193.
13. M. E. Jacob, J. Bai, D. G. Renter, A. T. Rogers, X. Shi, and T. G. Nagaraja. 2014. Comparing real-time and conventional PCR to culture-based methods for detecting and quantifying Escherichia coli O157 in cattle feces. J Food Protect, 77 (2): 314–319.
14. Neena Kanwar, H. Morgan Scott, Bo Norby, Guy H. Loneragan, Javier Vinasco, Matthew McGowan, Jennifer L. Cottell, Muckatira M. Chengappa, Jianfa Bai, and Patrick Boerlin. 2013. Effects of Ceftiofur and Chlortetracycline Treatment Strategies on Antimicrobial Susceptibility and on tet(A), tet(B), and blaCMY-2 Resistance Genes among E. coli Isolated from the Feces of Feedlot Cattle. PLOS ONE: 8 (11), e80575.
15. N. Cernicchiaro, C.A. Cull, Z.D. Paddock, X. Shi, J. Bai, T.G. Nagaraja, D.G. Renter. 2013. Prevalence of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli and associated virulence genes in feces of commercial feedlot cattle. Foodborne Pathog. Dis., 10 (10): 835- 841.
16. Z. D. Paddock, J. Bai*, X. Shi, D. G. Renter, and T. G. Nagaraja*. 2013. Detection of Escherichia coli O104 in the Feces of Feedlot Cattle by a Multiplex PCR Assay Designed to Target Major Genetic Traits of the Virulent Hybrid Strain Responsible for the 2011 German Outbreak. Appl Environmental Microbiol, 79(11): 3522–3525.
17. David A. Dargatz, Jianfa Bai, Brian V. Lubbers, Christine A. Kopral, Baoyan An, Gary A. Anderson. 2013. Prevalence of Escherichia coli O-types and Shiga-toxin genes in fecal samples from feedlot cattle. Foodborne Pathog. Dis. 10(4): 1-5.
18. J. Bai*, Z. D. Paddock, X. Shi, S. Li, B. An, and T. G. Nagaraja. 2012. Applicability of a multiplex PCR to Detect the Seven Major Shiga Toxin-Producing Escherichia coli Based on Genes that Code for Serogroup-Specific O-Antigens and Major Virulence Factors in Cattle Feces. Foodborne Pathog. Dis. 9(6): 541-548.
19. M.E. Jacob, X. Shi, B. An, T. G. Nagaraja and J. Bai*. 2011. A Multiplex Real-Time PCR for the Detection and Quantification of Escherichia coli O157 in Cattle Feces. Foodborne Pathog. Dis. 9: 79-85.
20. Z. D. Paddock, X. Shi, J. Bai and T. G. Nagaraja. 2011. Applicability of a multiplex PCR to detect O26, O45, O103, O111, O121, O145, and O157 serogroups of Escherichia coli in cattle feces. Veterinary Microbiology. 156: 381-388.
21. Jianfa Bai*, Xiaorong Shi and T. G. Nagaraja. 2010. A Multiplex PCR Procedure for Detection of Six Major Virulence Genes in Escherichia coli O157:H7. J. Microbiol. Methods. 82: 85-89.
22. Greg Peterson, Jianfa Bai, T.G. Nagaraja, Sanjeev Narayanan. 2010. Diagnostic microarray for human and animal bacterial diseases and their virulence and antimicrobial resistance genes. J. Microbiol. Methods. 80: 223-230.
23. Bhupinder Bawa, Jianfa Bai, Mike Whitehair, Tanya Purvis, Brad M. DeBey. 2010. Bovine abortion associated with Nocardia farcinica. J Vet Diagn Invest, 22: 108-111.