1. K-State home
  2. »College of Veterinary Medicine
  3. »About
  4. »Administration & Finance
  5. »Units
  6. »Business Sevices
  7. »Travel

College of Veterinary Medicine

CVM Business Services - Travel

Travel arrangement and reimbursement steps

 If traveling outside of the State of Kansas, an out-of-state travel request (OSTR) should be completed and approved by the appropriate Director/Department Head.  In-State travel does not require form approval. Please visit the Business Services page for a helpful process map. 

  • Airfare - Once the approved OSTR has been received by the Business Office, the traveler can proceed with booking airfare.  The traveler should use the most economical or advantageous mode of travel.  Airfare arrangements can be made using Short’s Travel or other online travel agency sites (example Expedia.com).  The airfare expense can be charged directly to the Business Office travel credit card.  The traveler should identify the preferred flight and contact their departmental Travel Specialist.
    • Please note that first class airfare is not allowable.  Preferred seating is only allowed if it is the only available seat on requested flight.  A screen shot of the notice is needed for back-up purposes. 
  • Registration can be charged to the Business Office travel card.  Traveler should contact the Travel Specialist with registration information and they will assist the traveler with payment. 
  • Renting vehicle - Provide justification for the use of that vehicle versus public transportation. Supplemental insurance on rental vehicles is considered a personal expense and is not reimbursable. Loss damage waiver (LDW) and collision damage waiver (CDW) are the only two types of insurance that are reimbursable. Any rental car vendor is allowable, however when using Hertz the traveler will receive a State discount when using code 44028726 
  • Personal Vehicle Mileage - Mileage will be reimbursed to the traveler upon their return at $.54 per mile.  In the event the traveler is requesting mileage in lieu of airfare, a cost comparison must be completed at least two weeks prior to the travel.  Contact the departmental Travel Specialist for details.  As an alternative, the traveler may reserve a vehicle through the University Motor Pool and use the provided gas card for any expenses.  Pertinent information about the University Motor Pool can be found at http://www.k-state.edu/policies/ppm/6400/6430.html
  • Other Travel Expenses - Traveler must use personal funds to pay for their meals, taxi, shuttles, train fares, tips, tolls, and other incidentals while traveling.  Receipts (if available) should be submitted for reimbursement upon return.  Meal receipts do not need to be submitted as per diem will be calculated based on the travel time and location of travel. 

Once travel is completed, traveler should submit a completed travel reimbursement worksheet along with original receipts to departmental Travel Specialist.  Please review the “Do I Need a Receipt” webpage for further clarification on needed documentation.

Travel Resources
Anatomy & Physiology: Cara Koerperich

Cara KoerperichCara Koerperich

Dean’s Units/Clinical Sciences/Veterinary Health Center: Cara Koerperich

Cara KoerperichCara Koerperich

Diagnostic Medicine/Pathobiology: Alison Meyer

Alison MeyerAlison Meyer

Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory: Carrie Saleba

Carrie SalebaCarrie Saleba