Veterinary Technician Intern Program
To apply, please fill out both applications: VHC Application and Kansas State University Support Staff Application
Beginning in 2016 there will be two technician intern classes per year with start dates in January and June.
The Veterinary Technician Internship Program is a one year post graduate rotating small animal internship designed to give new graduates experience in an academic environment, training with experienced Registered Veterinary Technicians and boarded veterinary specialists.
Interns rotate through the following core services for one month or more: Internal Medicine Radiology Surgery Anesthesia ICU Interns then rotate through other services for one to two weeks:
- Exotic-Wildlife and Zoological Medicine
- Pet Health Center (Primary Care)
- Shelter Medicine (Mobile Spay and Neuter Surgery Unit)
- Elective options during the internship year including Equine Medcine, Equine Surgery and Livestock Services
Completion of specific objectives relative to each rotation is required. Objectives are designed to offer a complete and well-rounded experience, including mastery of select advanced skills. Interns will also attend monthly house officer seminars. Additional requirements include giving two presentations to the VHC faculty and technician staff during the internship year.
Interns will participate in the on-call surgery rotation, which includes small and large animal emergency surgery in the evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays. There will be other large animal experiences when on the anesthesia, ophthalmology and radiology rotations, as these services cover both small and large animal procedures. Experiences outside the hospital will include the opportunity to travel to area zoos and the Milford Nature Center with the Exotic, Zoo, and Wildlife Animal Medicine service, and to area shelters with the Shelter Medicine service.
- State-of-the-art equipment
- Board-certified veterinary specialists with expertise in a number of fields
- Experienced Registered Veterinary Technicians
- Dedicated staff
- Scheduled hours (40 hours per week, overtime may occur in some internship areas)
- Bi-weekly payroll periods
- Eligible for health insurance within 60 days
- 8 paid holidays
- Vacation leave (3.7 hours per pay period)
- Sick leave (3.7 hours per pay period)
- Worker’s Compensation coverage
- Term life insurance benefits
- Enhance technical experience
- Expand veterinary knowledge and skills
- Observe a wide variety of referral cases
- Increase marketability for private practice
- Obtain experience necessary for success in academic and referral specialty practices