Kansas State University
Bluemont College, which was
chartered in 1858, provided the origins for what was to become Kansas
State University. The state took over the land and building of Bluemont
College in 1861. After the Morrill Land Grant Act was signed by
President Lincoln in 1862, Kansas State Agricultural College was
established February 18, 1863, the nation’s first land grant college. In
1875, the college moved to its present location.
The name was changed to Kansas State College of Agriculture and Applied Science in 1931 and to Kansas State University of Agriculture and Applied Science in 1959 to reflect the school’s growing mission and broadened scope. There were only fifteen graduates by 1873; by 1989, more than 100,000 had received degrees.
The campus is on 668 acres with most buildings constructed of native limestone. In addition, there are 12,000 acres across Kansas devoted to experimental agriculture plus the Konza Prairie, an 8,616-acre natural research area.