Steven L. Stockham
Professor Emeritus, Veterinary Clinical Pathology
BS (1970), Kansas State University
DVM (1972), Kansas State University
MS (1980), Michigan State University
Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Pathologists (1980)
Honorary Member, European College of Veterinary Clinical Pathology (2004)
Clinical Pathology Hall of Fame, European Society of Veterinary Clinical Pathology (2013)
Lifetime Achievement Award, American Society for Veterinary Clinical Pathology (2018)
Phone: (785) 313-6331
- 1981–2001, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Missouri: Most instruction was in clinical pathology courses for second-year students, for 3rd- and 4th-year students in clinical rotations, and for graduate students. The major educational goal was for students.to acquire the knowledge and skills needed to interpret laboratory data correctly and to use laboratory data to understand the pathogeneses of disorders of domestic mammals. Instructional strategies of case-based learning are used to provide relevance and motivation.
- 2001–2016, College of Veterinary Medicine, Kansas State University. Most instruction was in clinical pathology courses for second-year students and for clinical pathology residents. The educational goals and instructional strategies remained the same.
- Directed service: As a clinical pathologist, provided clinical laboratory services for veterinarians within the Colleges of Veterinary Medicine or for practicing veterinarians. The Clinical Pathology Laboratory also provided clinical laboratory assays to support clinical and experimental investigations.
- Nondirected service:
- Served on University, College, and Department committees, task forces, and other groups.
- Served as an invited reviewer of the certifying examination of the European College of Veterinary Clinical Pathology from 2004 to 2016.
- Completed officer and committee duties in the American Society for Veterinary Clinical Pathology and the American College of Veterinary Pathologists.
- Served as Faculty Advisor for Student Chapters of the American Veterinary Medical Association for many years at the University of Missouri and Kansas State University.
My research involves the identification and characterization of spontaneous diseases via clinical laboratory methods or the improvement of clinical laboratory methods.
- Norden/Pfizer/Zoetis Distinguished Teaching Awards (1987, 1998, 2012, 2016)
- Mizzou Alumni Fund Instructional Development Award (1989)
- Gold Chalk Awards (1990, 1994, 1998)
- SCAVMA Teaching Awards for Clinical Sciences (1991, 1992, 1997, 1998, 1999)
- Golden Aesculapius Teaching Awards (1992, 1994, 1997, 2000)
- MSD AGVET Awards for Creativity in Teaching for the College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Missouri (1992, 1994)
- William T. Kemper Fellowship for Excellence in Teaching (1994)
- Gamma Sigma Delta Award of Merit for Graduate Teaching (1996)
- Dean’s Impact Award (1998)
- University of Missouri-Columbia Faculty-Alumni Award (1998)
- Bayer Animal Health Teaching Excellence Awards (2005, 2009, 2013)
- Educator Award of the American Society for Veterinary Clinical Pathology (2015)
- Distinguished Veterinary Teacher Award, American Association of Veterinary Medical Colleges (2016)
Awards for Extracurricular Learning Experiences
- Missouri Students Association's Certificate of Appreciation (1991)
- The Mystical Seven Society's Certificate of Appreciation (1991)
- Black and Gold Chalk Award for outstanding student organization advisement to the Student Chapter of the A.V.M.A. (1996)
- Excellence in Education Award (1997)
- Honor Tap in The Rollins Society (2001)
Stockham SL, Scott MA: Fundamentals of Veterinary Clinical Pathology, 2nd edition; Blackwell Publishing, 610 pages, 2008.
Click here for access to the Fundamentals of Veterinary Clinical Pathology webpage
Stockham SL, Schmidt DA, Tyler JW: Canine granulocytic ehrlichiosis in dogs from central Missouri: A possible cause of polyarthritis. Vet Med Rev 6 (2-4): 3-5, 1985.
Stockham SL, Basel DL, Schmidt DA: Mastocytemia in dogs with acute inflammatory diseases. Vet Clin Pathol 15: 16-21, 1986.
Stockham SL, Schmidt DA, Curtis KS, Schauf BG, Tyler JW, Simpson ST: Evaluation of granulocytic ehrlichiosis in dogs of Missouri, including serologic status in dogs of Missouri, including serologic status to Ehrlichia canis, Ehrlichia equi and Borrelia burgdorferi. Am J Vet Res 53(1): 63-68, 1992.
Stockham SL, Harvey JW, Kinden DA: Equine glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency. Vet Pathol 31: 518-527, 1994.
Stockham SL, Kjemtrup AM, Conrad PA, Schmidt DA, Scott MA, Robinson TW, Tyler JW, Johnson GC, Carson CA, Cuddihee P: Theileriosis in a Missouri beef herd caused by Theileria buffeli: Case report, herd investigation, ultrastructure, phylogenetic analysis, and experimental transmission. Vet Pathol 37: 11-21, 2000.
Harvey JW, Stockham SL, Scott MA, Johnson PJ, Donald JJ, Chandler CJ: Methemoglobinemia and eccentrocytosis in equine erythrocyte flavin adenine dinucleotide deficiency. Vet Pathol 40(6): 632-642, 2003.
Di Terlizzi R, Gallagher PG, Mohandas N, Steiner LA, Dolce KS, Guo X, Wilkerson MJ, Stockham SL: Canine elliptocytosis due to a mutant beta-spectrin. Vet Clin Pathol 38: 52-58, 2009.
Ameri M, Wilkerson MJ, Stockham SL, Almes KM, Patton KM, Jackson T: Acute megakaryoblastic leukemia in a German Shepherd dog: Megakaryoblastic leukemia in a dog. Vet Clin Pathol 39: 39-45, 2010.
Gupta A, Stockham SL: Refractometric total protein concentrations in icteric serum from dogs. J Am Vet Med Assoc 244: 63-67, 2014.
Gupta A, Stockham SL: Negative interference of icteric serum on a bichromatic biuret total protein assay. Vet Clin Pathol 43(3): 422-427, 2014.