Chanran K. Ganta
Clinical Assistant Professor
BVSc & AH 2001, ANGR Agricultural University, India
PhD 2006, Kansas State University
Post-doctoral Fellow 2007, Kansas State University
Diplomate 2011, American College of Veterinary Pathologists
As a diagnostic pathologist I provide necropsy, biopsy, and consultation services for referring veterinarians and owners from the state of Kansas and numerous other locations, as well as the Kansas State University, Veterinary Health Center. I also provide pathology support to researchers including gross, microscopic and Immunohistochemical analysis.
My primary research interest includes understanding the therapeutic applications of mesenchymal stem cells in chronic inflammatory diseases. Ongoing studies include stem cell applications in chronic kidney disease, equine recurrent airway disease and inflammatory bowel disease.
I assist with instruction of the fourth year veterinary students on the diagnostic medicine rotation (DMP785) which includes whole animal and gross tissue evaluation, sample collection for diagnostic testing, necropsy techniques, and analysis of findings.
1. Comparative Experimental Infection Study in Dogs with Ehrlichia canis, E. chaffeensis, Anaplasma platys and A. phagocytophilum. Nair AD, Cheng C, Ganta CK, Sanderson MW, Alleman AR, Munderloh UG, Ganta RR.PLoS One. 2016 Feb 3;11(2).
2. Eosinophilic Leukemia in a Pet African Hedgehog (Atelerix albiventris) Higbie CT, Eshar D, Choudhary S, Pohlman LM, Ganta CK, Andrews G. Journal of Exotic Pet MedicineVolume 25, Issue 1, January 2016, Pages 65–71.
3. Kenney MJ, Ganta CK. Autonomic Nervous System and Immune System Interactions. Compr Physiol. 2014 Jul;4(3):1177-200.
4. Ganta C, Ayuzawa R, Chiyo D, Pyle M, Rachakatla RS, Andrews G, Weiss ML, Tamura M and Troyer DL. Rat Umbilical Cord Stem Cells Completely Abolish Rat Mammary Carcinomas with No Evidence of Metastasis or Recurrence 100 Days Post-Tumor Cell Inoculation. Cancer Res 2009;69(5):1815–20.
5. Perchellet EM, Perchellet JP, Ganta CK, Troyer DL, Shi A, and Hua D. Synthesis, molecular targets, and antitumor activities of substituted tetrahydro-1-oxopyrano[4,3-b]benzopyrans and nanogels for drug delivery. Anticancer Agents Med Chem.2009 Oct;9(8):864-76
6. Ganta C, Shi A, Battina SK, Pyle M, Rana S, Hua HD, Tamura M and Troyer DL. Combination of nanogel polyethylene glycol-polyethylenimine and 6-(hydroxymethyl)-1,4-anthracenedione as an anticancer nanomedicine. J Nanosci Nanotechnol. 2008 May;8(5):2334-40.
7. Ganta CK. Central Activation of Sympathetic Neural Circuits Alters Splenic Cytokine Gene Expression. 2006. K-state Research Exchange. (PhD Dissertation Copy)
8. Ganta CK, Helwig BG, Blecha F, Ganta RR, Cober R, Parimi S, Musch TI, Fels RJ and Kenney MJ. Hypothermia-enhanced splenic cytokine gene expression is independent of the sympathetic nervous system. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 291: R558-R565, 2006.
9. Ganta CK, Lu N, Helwig BG, Blecha F, Ganta RR, Zheng L, Ross CR, Musch TI, Fels RJ and Kenney MJ. Central angiotensin II-enhanced splenic cytokine gene expression is mediated by the sympathetic nervous system. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 289: H1683-H1691, 2005.
10. Ganta CK, Blecha F, Ganta RR, Helwig BG, Parimi S, Lu N, Fels RJ, Musch TI and Kenney MJ. Hyperthermia-enhanced splenic cytokine gene expression is mediated by the sympathetic nervous system. Physiol Genomics 19: 175-183, 2004.