Zhoumeng Lin, PhD
BMed, Preventive Medicine, Southern Medical University, 2009
PhD, Toxicology, The University of Georgia, 2013
Diplomate of American Board of Toxicology (DABT), 2017
Computational Toxicology: Physiologically based pharmacokinetic (PBPK) modeling of nanomaterials and environmental chemicals in laboratory animals and humans. The goal is to apply these models to predict target tissue dosimetry and conduct interspecies pharmacokinetic extrapolation to aid risk assessment of nanomaterials and environmental chemicals.
Veterinary and Comparative Pharmacometrics: Development and application of physiologically based pharmacokinetic (PBPK), population-based pharmacokinetic (PopPK), and pharmacokinetic-pharmacodynamic (PKPD) models for veterinary drugs in food-producing animals and companion animals. The objective is to employ these models to estimate drug tissue residues and withdrawal times in food animals, and to help optimize drug therapeutic regimens across species.
Mechanistic Toxicology: Integration of neurobehavioral analysis, PBPK modeling, metabolomics, adverse outcome pathway (AOP) analysis, and molecular biology approaches to investigate mechanisms of toxicity of drugs and environmental chemicals, especially on the nervous system.
I teach an online course in Physiologically Based Pharmacokinetic Modeling (AP 873) for graduate students. This course is also available as continuing education for scientists in the pharmaceutical industry and governmental agencies, as well as for other non-traditional students through K-State Global Campus.
I am available to serve as Major Professor, Co-Major Professor, Advisor, PhD Dissertation Committee Member, MS Thesis Committee Member, and MPH Supervisory Committee Member. Please check with me about availability to serve during current academic period.
At Kansas State University (since February 2014; * Indicates corresponding author)
40. Cheng YH, Riviere JE, Monteiro-Riviere NA, Lin Z*. (2018). Probabilistic risk assessment of gold nanoparticles after intravenous administration by integrating in vitro and in vivo toxicity with physiologically based pharmacokinetic modeling. Nanotoxicology, in press.
39. Li M, Gehring R, Riviere JE, Lin Z*. (2018). Probabilistic physiologically based pharmacokinetic model for penicillin G in milk from dairy cows following intramammary or intramuscular administrations. Toxicological Sciences, in press.
38. Zeng D, Sun M, Lin Z*, Li M, Gehring R, Zeng Z. (2018). Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of tildipirosin against Pasteurella multocida in a murine lung infection model. Frontiers in Microbiology, in press.
37. Stafford EG*, Tell LA, Lin Z, Davis J, Vickroy TW, Riviere JE, Baynes RE. (2018). FARAD Digest: Management of fipronil contamination in layers. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, in press.
36. Adamson SX, Lin Z, Chen R, Kobos LM, Shannahan J*. (2018). Experimental challenges regarding the in vitro investigation of the nanoparticle-biocorona in disease states. Toxicology in Vitro, in press.
35. Sikina ER, Bach JF*, Lin Z, Gehring R, KuKanich B. (2018). Bioavailability of suppository acetaminophen in healthy and hospitalized ill dogs. Journal of Veterinary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, in press.
34. Xiao N, Zhang F, Zhu B, Liu C, Lin Z, Wang H, Xie WB. CDK5-mediated Tau accumulation triggers methamphetamine-induced neuronal apoptosis via endoplasmic reticulum-associated degradation pathway. Toxicology Letters, in press.
33. Xu X, Huang E, Luo B, Cai D, Zhao X, Luo Q, Jin Y, Chen L, Wang Q, Liu C, Lin Z, Wang H, Xie WB. (2018) Methamphetamine exposure triggers apoptosis and autophagy in neuronal cells through activating C/EBPβ related signaling pathway. The FASEB Journal, in press.
32. Lin Z* (2017). Advance in physiologically based pharmacokinetic modelling: from the organ level to sub-organ level based on experimental data. The Journal of Physiology, 595:7265-7266. [PMID: 29052221]
31. Zeng D, Lin Z*, Fang B, Li M, Gehring R, Riviere JE, Zeng Z*. (2017). Pharmacokinetics of mequindox and its marker residue 1,4-bisdesoxymequindox in swine following multiple oral gavage and intramuscular administration: an experimental study coupled with population physiologically based pharmacokinetic modeling. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, in press. DOI: 10.1021/acs.jafc.7b01740. [PMID: 28640606]
30. Li M, Gehring R, Riviere JE, Lin Z*. (2017). Development and application of a population physiologically based pharmacokinetic model for penicillin G in swine and cattle for food safety assessment. Food and Chemical Toxicology, 107:74-87. [PMID: 28627373]
29. Lin Z*, Jaberi-Douraki M, He C, Jin S, Yang RSH, Fisher JW, Riviere JE. (2017). Performance assessment and translation of physiologically based pharmacokinetic models from acslX to Berkeley Madonna, MATLAB, and R language: oxytetracycline and gold nanoparticles as case examples. Toxicological Sciences, 158:23-35. [PMID: 28402537]
28. Du SH, Qiao DF, Chen CX, Chen S, Liu C, Lin Z, Wang H*, Xie WB*. (2017). Toll-like receptor 4 mediates methamphetamine-induced neuroinflammation through Caspase-11 signaling pathway in astrocytes. Frontiers in Molecular Neuroscience, 10:409.
27. Li Y*, Shi Z, Radauer-Preiml I, Andosch A, Casals E, Luetz-Meindl U, Cobaleda M, Lin Z, Jaberi-Douraki M, Italiani P, Horejs-Hoeck J, Himly M, Monteiro-Riviere NA, Duschl A, Puntes V, Boraschi D. (2017). Bacterial endotoxin (LPS) binds to the surface of gold nanoparticles, interferes with biocorona formation and induces human monocyte inflammatory activation. Nanotoxicology, 11:1157-1175. [PMID: 29192556]
26. Xu X, Huang E, Tai Y, Zhao X, Chen X, Chen C, Chen R, Liu C, Lin Z, Wang H*, Xie WB*. (2017). Nupr1 modulates methamphetamine-induced dopaminergic neuronal apoptosis and autophagy through CHOP-Trib3-mediated endoplasmic reticulum stress signaling pathway. Frontiers in Molecular Neuroscience, 10:203. [PMID: 28694771]
25. Li B, Chen R, Chen L, Qiu P, Ai X, Huang E, Huang W, Chen C, Liu C, Lin Z, Xie WB*, Wang H*. (2017). Effects of DDIT4 in methamphetamine-induced autophagy and apoptosis in dopaminergic neurons. Molecular Neurobiology, 54:1642-1660. [PMID: 26873849]
24. Lin Z*, Gehring R, Mochel JP, Lavé T, Riviere JE. (2016). Mathematical modeling and simulation in animal health - Part II: principles, methods, applications, and value of physiologically based pharmacokinetic modeling in veterinary medicine and food safety assessment. Journal of Veterinary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, 39:421-438. [PMID: 27086878]
23. Lin Z, Vahl CI, Riviere JE*. (2016). Human food safety implications of variation in food animal drug metabolism. Scientific Reports, 6:27907. [PMID: 27302389]
22. Lin Z, Monteiro-Riviere NA, Kannan R, Riviere JE*. (2016). A computational framework for interspecies pharmacokinetics, exposure and toxicity assessment of gold nanoparticles. Nanomedicine (Lond), 11:107-119. [PMID: 26653715]
21. Lin Z, Monteiro-Riviere NA, Riviere JE*. (2016). A physiologically based pharmacokinetic model for polyethylene glycol-coated gold nanoparticles of different sizes in adult mice. Nanotoxicology, 10:162-172. [PMID: 25961857] [Best Paper Award (Honorable Mention), Society of Toxicology Biological Modeling Specialty Section]
20. Lin Z, Cuneo M, Rowe JD, Li M, Tell LA, Allison S, Carlson J, Riviere JE, Gehring R*. (2016). Estimation of tulathromycin depletion in plasma and milk after subcutaneous injection in lactating goats using a nonlinear mixed-effects pharmacokinetic modeling approach. BMC Veterinary Research, 12:258. [PMID: 27863483]
19. Cai D, Huang E, Luo B, Yang Y, Zhang F, Liu C, Lin Z, Xie WB*, Wang H*. (2016). Nupr1/Chop signal axis is involved in mitochondrion-related endothelial cell apoptosis induced by methamphetamine. Cell Death and Disease, 7:e2161. [PMID: 27031958]
18. Chen R, Wang B, Chen L, Chen C, Huang E, Liu C, Lin Z, Xie WB*, Wang H*. (2016). DNA damage-inducible transcript 4 (DDIT4) mediates methamphetamine-induced autophagy and apoptosis through mTOR signaling pathway in cardiomyocytes. Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, 295:1-11. [PMID: 26825372]
17. Chen C, Qincao L, Xu J, Du S, Huang E, Liu C, Lin Z, Xie WB*, Wang H*. (2016). Role of PUMA in methamphetamine-induced neuronal apoptosis. Toxicology Letters, 240:149-160. [PMID: 26524635]
16. Lin Z, Monteiro-Riviere NA, Riviere JE*. (2015). Pharmacokinetics of metallic nanoparticles. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Nanomedicine and Nanobiotechnology, 7:189-217. [PMID: 25316649] (Top Ten Accessed Publications in this journal in 2015)
15. Li M, Gehring R, Lin Z, Riviere JE*. (2015). A framework for meta-analysis of veterinary drug pharmacokinetic data using mixed effect modeling. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 104:1230-1239. [PMID: 25641543]
14. Lin Z, Li M, Gehring R, Riviere JE*. (2015). Development and application of a multi-route physiologically based pharmacokinetic model for oxytetracycline in dogs and humans. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 104(1):233-243. [PMID: 25407474]
13. Huang L, Lin Z, Zhou X, Zhu M, Gehring R, Riviere JE*, Yuan Z*. (2015). Estimation of residue depletion of cyadox and its marker residue in edible tissues of pigs using physiologically based pharmacokinetic modelling. Food Additives & Contaminants. Part A, Chemistry, Analysis, Control, Exposure & Risk Assessment, 32:2002-2017. [PMID: 26414219]
12. Monteiro-Riviere NA*, Ortega MT, Choi K, Koci J, Lin Z, Jeffrey B, Riviere JE. (2015). Comparative in vitro cytotoxicity of 20 potential food ingredients in canine liver, kidney, bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells and enterocyte-like cells. Applied in Vitro Toxicology, 1:276-288.
11. He C, Lin Z, Robb SW, Ezeamama AE*. (2015). Serum vitamin D levels and polycystic ovary syndrome: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Nutrients, 7:4555-4577. [PMID: 26061015]
10. Huang W, Xie WB, Qiao D, Qiu P, Huang E, Li B, Liu C, Wang Q, Lin Z, Wang H*. (2015). Caspase-11 plays an essential role in methamphetamine-induced dopaminergic neuron apoptosis. Toxicological Sciences, 145:68-79. [PMID: 25631491]
At The University of Georgia (2009-2013)
9. Krishna S, Lin Z, de La Serre CB, Wagner JJ, Harn DH, Pepples LM, Djani DM, Weber MT, Srivastava L, Filipov NM*. (2016). Time-dependent behavioral, neurochemical, and metabolic dysregulation in female C57BL/6 mice caused by chronic high-fat diet intake. Physiology & Behavior, 157:196-208. [PMID: 26852949]
8. Krishna S, Keralapurath MM, Lin Z, Wagner JJ, de La Serre CB, Harn DA, Filipov NM*. (2015). Neurochemical and electrophysiological deficits in the ventral hippocampus and selective behavioral alterations caused by high-fat diet in female C57BL/6 mice. Neuroscience, 297:170-81. [PMID: 25849614]
7. Qiao D, Xu J, Le C, Huang E, Liu C, Qiu P, Lin Z, Xie WB*, Wang H*. (2014). Insulin-like growth factor binding protein 5 (IGFBP5) mediates methamphetamine-induced dopaminergic neuron apoptosis. Toxicology Letters, 230:444-453. [PMID: 25127757]
6. Lin Z, Roede JR, He C, Jones DP, Filipov NM*. (2014). Short-term oral atrazine exposure alters the plasma metabolome of male C57BL/6 mice and disrupts α-linolenate, tryptophan, tyrosine and other major metabolic pathways. Toxicology, 326:130-141. [PMID: 25445803]
5. Lin Z, Dodd CA, Xiao S, Krishna S, Ye X, Filipov NM*. (2014). Gestational and lactational exposure to atrazine via the drinking water causes specific behavioral deficits and selectively alters monoaminergic systems in C57BL/6 mouse dams, juvenile and adult offspring. Toxicological Sciences, 141:90-102. [PMID: 24913803]
4. Lin Z, Fisher JW, Wang R, Ross MK, Filipov NM*. (2013). Estimation of placental and lactational transfer and tissue distribution of atrazine and its main metabolites in rodent dams, fetuses, and neonates with physiologically based pharmacokinetic modeling. Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, 273:140-158. [PMID: 23958493]
3. Lin Z, Dodd CA, Filipov NM*. (2013). Short-term atrazine exposure causes behavioral deficits and disrupts monoaminergic systems in male C57BL/6 mice. Neurotoxicology and Teratology, 39:26-35. [PMID: 23770127]
2. Lin Z, Dodd CA, Filipov NM*. (2013). Differentiation state-dependent effects of in vitro exposure to atrazine or its metabolite diaminochlorotriazine in a dopaminergic cell line. Life Sciences, 92:81-90. [PMID: 23142650]
1. Lin Z, Fisher JW, Ross MK, Filipov NM*. (2011). A physiologically based pharmacokinetic model for atrazine and its main metabolites in the adult male C57BL/6 mouse. Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, 251:16-31. [PMID: 21094656]