Frequently asked questions


What are my career options in Veterinary Medicine?
The profession offers many opportunities for both self-employment and salaried work, including:
Private practice with food animals, companion animals, or both combined into one practice.
- Government service with state, federal, or foreign assignments in disease control, meat inspection, public health, and animal research.
- Armed forces careers as veterinary medical officers in charge of disease control, food inspection and sanitation, and basic research.
- Teaching and research in many exciting areas of veterinary or human medical schools and other departments of colleges and universities.
- Industry positions in research, development, production, and sales of medicinal and food agents for both human and animal use.
- Private employment as ranch or feedlot veterinarians and ranch managers.
- Specialization in laboratory animal medicine, research, and care.
- Extension veterinary medicine responsible for disseminating information to practicing veterinarians, the livestock industry, and owners of companion animals.
- Specialty practices pertaining to zoo and exotic animals and with individual species such as cats, horses, pet birds, poultry, swine, or fur-bearing animals.

Why choose a career in Veterinary Medicine?
A career in veterinary medicine may appeal to you if you are interested in medical science, pets, wildlife activities, and domestic livestock of all species. A doctor of veterinary medicine has prestige in the community, independence, a position in a highly regarded profession, interesting work, and the satisfaction of contributing to the welfare of society.


What are my housing options?
On-Campus housing is available through the Department of Housing and Dining Services (see address listed below), or you can choose to take advantage of the wide variety of properties available for rent or sale in the Manhattan area. For information about off-campus housing, contact the Consumer & Tenant Affairs Office in the Office of Student Activities and Services at the address listed below and request copies of their "Off-Campus Housing Listing" and "Apartment Guide".


Do you have financial assistance programs?
Yes. There are several programs that may be available to offer you financial assistance.  These programs are administered by the K-State Office of Student Financial Assistance (see below for complete contact information).


Can you please tell me, as an out-of-state student, do I stand much of a chance being selected as an at-large student?
We admit approximately 65 non-residents each year. Please see for the latest class statistics.

What if my GPA is only a 3.1? Do I stand a chance of being admitted to the KSU Vet School?
Our admissions evaluation includes many components - GPA's being only one. You might be a strong candidate if you have high GRE scores, significant veterinary and animal experience, interview well, etc.  So, yes, there is a chance that you could gain admittance to our program.



I heard my GRE scores could be averaged together depending on the college’s preferences. I was wondering whether it was recommended for me to take the GRE multiple times or if I should just take it once?
You should send us copies of your official GRE scores that you receive(d)  from ETS, use Institutional Code 6334 and Department Code 0617.  You can take the GRE as many times as you wish. It does not matter to us how many times you take the examination. However, we will use your best quantitative score, your best verbal score, and your best analytical writing score, out of all of the times you have taken the GRE, to create the best composite score possible for you. You cannot hurt yourself by retaking the GRE.

Does the admissions committee look at a total combined GRE score or what areas you are stronger or weaker at?
We consider the total combined score.  All parts of the general GRE are equal in weight.

If all pre-requisite course-work is completed at Kansas State University, do I still have to take the GRE?
No, you do not have to take the GRE if ALL prerequisites have been completed at Kansas State University.



Due to my score on my ACT I passed out of taking the first writing class at my current university. I have taken one other writing course. Will that be sufficient to fulfill your Expository Writing I and II requirement?
You must complete an additional writing course (English course) by the end of the spring semester before you would start veterinary school to qualify at Kansas State University. We do not waive prerequisites based on ACT scores.

In looking over the prerequisites, I am not sure what is meant by "expository" writing.
Expository writing courses include courses with an English prefix or designations as writing courses. Composition courses are also acceptable.

Is Advanced Placement (AP) credit acceptable for prerequisite courses and if so how do I document it?  Will a transcript indicating such coursework be acceptable?
If the courses for which you received AP credit are listed on a college transcript by course name we will accept them. If they are not listed by name we will not accept the credit.

Do I have to have a Bachelor’s degree to get accepted to vet school?
No, about 30 percent of our students do not have Bachelor’s degrees.

Is there a math prerequisite for applying to the K-State College of Veterinary Medicine?
No, there is no math requirement.

How do I convert Quarter Hours to Semester Hours?
Please see the conversion table.



Do you accept transfer students from other Veterinary Colleges?
We admit transfer students from other veterinary programs as we have openings. Please see for our transfer policies and procedures. The admission of transfer students is dependent upon availability of open seats and qualifications. We admit transfer students into semesters 2 through 6.



Can a non-resident student gain Kansas residency after being accepted to the College of Veterinary Medicine as a non-resident?
No. Students are not allowed to change residency status for tuition purposes once they have accepted a non-resident position in the K-State College of Veterinary Medicine.



To what address should the supplemental application packet be sent?
Office of the Associate Dean for Admissions
101 Trotter Hall
College of Veterinary Medicine
Kansas State University
Manhattan, Kansas 66506-5601

Can the supplemental application for admission be submitted before the VMCAS application is submitted?
Yes, the supplemental application can be submitted anytime before October 1.  It can be submitted before the VMCAS application is submitted.

I was wondering how many letters of recommendation are required for admission, and how many of those need to be from a veterinarian.
As outlined in the VMCAS application we require three letters of reference (one from a veterinarian, one from a college advisor, and one from anyone else who is not a relative).  Your reference letter writers will submit their letters online through VMCAS (

When should I begin applying for admission to the K-State College of Veterinary Medicine?
Our application period is between June 1 and October 1 each year.

I had a question about the last 45 hours on the supplemental application. Is it the last 45 hours of classes taken in general or the last 45 hours of classes taken while working toward an undergraduate degree?
We require that applicants have at least a 2.8 GPA on their last 45 semester hours of undergraduate work. Whether or not these hours were applied towards completion of a degree does not matter. We do not use graduate course grades in this calculation.

I have a question regarding the supplemental application for KSU, where it asks for the GPA for the last 45 hours of undergraduate work. I completed a B.S. degree, but have taken other college level courses since then. Should I include the latest extra courses in that GPA, or just the last 45 credits earned toward my B.S. degree?
You should include the grades for the "extra" courses if they were taken for undergraduate credit. Whether or not the credits for the "extra" courses were applied towards a degree does not matter.



Should I have my undergraduate transcripts sent to me to include in the supplemental application packet, or sent directly to KSU from my undergraduate institutions? I want to ensure that a sealed, official transcript that I send will be accepted.
You must include all of your college transcripts in the supplemental application packet as instructed. This means that you should obtain your college transcripts in a sealed envelope from your institution and put them in the supplemental application packet. By doing this, we will have everything we need in one packet and will not have to wait for your undergraduate schools to send them to us. It is ok if your transcript is marked “issued to student” as long as it is received in a sealed university envelope.

What academic work must transcripts show?  For instance, I was going to submit a transcript now prior to taking and receiving grades for the upcoming Fall and Spring terms.  Is this acceptable and if so will the school need a second set of transcripts later for the other grades I will later earn?
Because our deadline for application is October 1, you will not have transcripts with your current fall grades nor your upcoming spring grades to send. Please send your most current transcripts. If admitted, we will require spring transcripts after your final grades are posted.

I am applying for admission in the fall.  I was wondering when you would like fall transcripts to be sent to K-State by?
We do not require that fall transcripts be sent to us. We do require newly admitted students to send us final transcripts following posting of grades after the end of the spring semester.


If I am a first generation American who grew up in a home where English is not the primary language, do I need to take the TOEFL?
We will not require that you take the TOEFL if you are a United States citizen.



For College of Veterinary Medicine Application Material contact:
Office of the Associate Dean for Admissions
College of Veterinary Medicine
101 Trotter Hall
Manhattan, Kansas 66506-5601

For Financial Aid Information contact:
Student Financial Assistance
Kansas State University
104 Fairchild Hall
Manhattan, Kansas 66506-1104
Web page:

For on-campus housing information contact
Director of Housing
Kansas State University
104 Pittman Building
Manhattan, KS 66506-4601
Web page
E-mail: Housing@KSU.EDU

For off-campus housing information contact:
Consumer and Tenant Affairs Office*
809 K-State Union
Kansas State University
Manhattan, KS 66506
*Consumer and Tenant Affairs Office is a service of the Office of Student Activities & Services and K-State Student Governing Association

Inquiries for general information about Kansas State University should be addressed to:
Director of Admissions
Kansas State University
119 Anderson Hall
Manhattan, KS 66506-0102
Web page
E-mail: KState@KSU.EDU

Inquiries for further specific information about veterinary medicine professional program are welcome. Please address them to:
Associate Dean
Office of the Dean
College of Veterinary Medicine
Kansas State University
101 Trotter Hall
Manhattan, KS 66506-5601
Web page